Bosnian Summer Dry Flies
On my local small stream (Yorkshire Derwent), it's been quite hard fishing of late, especially with the recent hot weather and low water levels we are seeing in North Yorkshire. Even with the low river levels, I am still finding that when the fish are playing hard to get, the "go-to" tactic is to go small and imitative.
Using a longer leader allows for a more gentle presentation, especially when combined with a longer lighter rod (my go-to rod for this situation is the wonderful Maxia MX 9' 2wt) employing this method I've caught in mornings, afternoons and evenings. I've been following these simple rules and it really has upped my success rate:
• DO NOT get into the water and wade, not unless you really have to - As the fish have less natural cover from predators, they are really spooky. Any disturbance in the water (or noise from your studded boots) will transfer its way to the fish.
• Use a longer leader - I generally use a longer and lighter leader, this will allow you to land the fly with a more delicate presentation - experiment with using a French Leader setup - they really come into their own at this time of year.
• Look for deep holes & behind any obstructions - If there is no surface activity these will be the places the fish are holding. Try experimenting with a Klink 'n' Dink setup (use a small beaded nymph - size 16 or smaller - we have a wide selection of these - as you may have guessed!).
• See the end of this email for one of the best tips on Grayling fishing you will read - but you need to act on the tip now (you will see why when you read it)!
Following along the lines of 'small and imitative' we have just received these stunning summer dry flies from or man in Bosnia. These flies have been specifically tied for fishing in the low and slow summer river levels. Take a look at the below:
Our Bosnian Summer Dry Fly Selection consists of 30 flies, 5 each of 6 separate patterns:
CdC Emerger patterns:
• Red CdC Emerger - Size 18
• Stripped Peacock Herl Emerger - Size 18
• Olive Hot-Spot Emerger - Size 18
• Yellow Hot-Spot Emerger - Size 18
Up-Winged Dry Flies:
• Olive Up-Winged Indicator CdC - Size 14
• Yellow Up-Winged Indicator CdC - Size 14
We are supplying 5 of each of the above patterns, that's 30 flies in total, in one of our Premium Silicone fly boxes for only £55. This premium Bosnian fly selection is very limited (we only have 15 available) and once they are gone, we will not have any more until next year. Just click on any image or button in this email to view details and buy your selection.
If you would like one, you will need to be quick off the mark!
Take advantage of the Low Water
If you regularly fish the same stretch, now is your best chance, whilst the river bed is exposed, to take a look and see what the contours are, and spot and likely fish holding places. This will be really useful information for when the water levels rise again and when the Grayling season starts.
Tight lines & stay safe.