We have spent the last few months testing various nymphing rod/line/indicator combos out at various price points. We were searching for the impossible (or so it seemed), a nymphing rod, line and indicator combo which worked in harmony together, fished with feel and was priced to allow everyone access.
What we have eventually ended up with is an outfit that performs well above its price point whilst also offering lots of scope for the 'new to nymphing' angler to improve their technique (without investing in new and upgraded gear). The Holy Grail then - well not quite, but pretty close. There are better rods out there, but for the increase in cost, you will not see anywhere near the same increase in performance.
So on to the outfit ...
We started with the Rod ... We decided that for the best of both worlds (nymphing with the occasional dry fly) that a 3 weight was required. We also looked at the length and found that 10'0" was the optimum length for when fishing on both small/medium and larger rivers - so a 10' 0" 3wt was the rod of choice, so which one did we choose?
We chose the 10' 3# Light-Line Nymph rod from our friends over in Bulgaria (who really know a thing or two about how to create - and fish - a nymphing rod). Here are the rod details:
- IM6 / 30 Million Modules Graphite Technology
- Deep, smooth, medium-fast action blank, with a sensitive tip
- Deep olive brown blank colour with a gloss finish
- Light olive brown wraps
- PacBay ceramic stripper guides
- PacBay hard chrome single leg guides and tip-top
- Sea Guide Silver matt anodized aluminium up-locking reel seat
- High-grade aluminium PacBay winding check & Hook Keeper
- High-grade AAA half wells cork handle
- Rugged green Cordura nylon rod tube with divided liner
And then to the best Nymphing Line ... It didn't take us long to choose this, as we sell them already - our very own 'Euro Style' nymphing line. Our specialist nymphing fly line has the following properties:
- Very Thin - it's a 0.62mm level line
- It Floats - for when you need to change styles and nymph at longer ranges
- Micro welded loops on either end of the fly line
- Total Length - 28m (90ft)
- Low-Stretch braided core
- Olive Green with a built-in 1m Orange indicator tip for easier take detection
These lines have been designed to be used specifically with Euro Nymphing rods (i.e. lightweight rods which are over 9ft in length), but we have found they work equally as well with shorter rods when nymphing on those really hard-to-get-at areas! We believe that there are no other lines like these on the market. These are level lines and do not have an AFTM weight rating, they do cast and load on a 1wt or 2wt rod (but they are not designed to be cast as you would a regular fly line), they are designed specifically for short-range nymphing.
And then to the Indicators... Our 'Euro Style' Nymphing line already has a 1-meter indicator built into the line itself, but if you want to fish at a longer range or use the 'long leader' technique, then we've also included two separate types of indicator:
- RIO Two-Tone Tippet - This tippet material allows you to create your own Bi-Colour In-line strike indicator. These are made by tying in the two-tone tippet to anywhere in your leader setup. Ideally, place it just before your tippet to aid better bite indication.
- Loon Biostrike - A putty indicator that makes adjusting the depth and size of the indicator simple. Beyond that, it is reusable, biodegradable, and environmentally friendly. BioStrike can be rolled in a ball with wet fingers and applied anywhere on a leader, then removed and placed back in the container.
To connect it all together ... We've included a pack of 10 2mm tippet rings. These make rigging up easy and keeps each section of your leader adjustable.
So, to the nymphs ... So you've got the rod, line and indicator, now you need some nymphs to tie on the end! We checked our system for the most popular nymphs to fish in September, October & November and have put them together in a small selection (containing 22 nymphs) to get you started, we are supplying 2 each of:
Patterns included are:
- Red-Neck Pheasant Tail Tungsten Nymph - Size 14
- Olive Quill Tungsten Nymph - Size 14
- Hare's Ear Tungsten Nymph - Size 14
- Orange-Head Mary Tungsten Nymph - Size 14
- Pheasant Tail Mary Tungsten Nymph - Size 14
- Disco Shrimp - Sizes 14, 16 & 18
- Duracell Tungsten Jig - Sizes 12, 14 & 16
The nymphs included are the most popular Grayling nymphs we supply - in fact, the above 5 patterns outsell all others by at least 3 times.
And finally you're going to need something to keep the nymphs in ... So we've included one of our very own Slim-Line Silicone nymph fly boxes - small enough to fit in a pocket, but will still hold all the flies you need for a day on the water.
Please Note: We can make the Nymphing rod available to purchase separately, for only £119.99, please contact us by email if you would like more information.
*** We will not be offering this Outfit again until September 2023 ***