When fishing with dry flies, the ability to keep the fly floating is essential. As we are well into the 'dry fly' season, we thought we would put together a 'Dry Fly Care Kit' that includes all you need to keep your dry flies floating.
Our kit contains:
- Handmade Drying Towel - made by us from the most absorbent material available (bamboo), these are fantastic at absorbing moisture.
- Rubber Duck Floatant - Only apply this to your fly when it's straight out of the box and 100% dry - otherwise it will lock moisture in (not keep it out)!
- Weatherby's Dry Fly Powder - Use this to refresh your fly once it's been dried with your towel. Brush the powder into the feathers to keep your fly afloat.
How to Use:
- Take your fly from your box.
- Apply a little of the Rubber Duck floatant to the fly - you only need a very small amount. Rub the floatant between your fingers and then into the feathers of the fly.
- Catch a fish (or if your fly starts to get waterlogged)
- Use the Drying Towel to squeeze any water and moisture out of the fly
- Brush the Dry Fly Powder into all the feathers of the fly and give it a blow to remove any excess powder
- Catch another fish and repeat from step 4.
Here's a description of all the separate items included in our Dry Fly Care Kit:
Weatherby's Dry Fly Powder
It is the UK's dry fly floatant powder, designed to give your dry fly the ability to act like a natural. Don't just match the hatch, imitate it too!
We carefully choose our dry flies by matching the hatch, selecting the fly that most closely imitates the natural that the fish are feeding on. But if the fly we offer the trout fails to act natural once on the water, it will be refused time and time again and that could be the end of the rise for that pool!
Weatherby's Dry Fly Floatant Powder will lift your fly on to the water, allowing you to add life to your fly and entice the rising fish to take it! It's supplied in a clear PET bottle. Not only is it 100% recyclable, but the clear bottle allows you to check how much floatant you have before you go fishing. Who wants to run out when you are mid-river!
Rubber Duck Floatant Gel
This is a fly floatant developed by Barbless Flies. Similar in viscosity to the well known floatant brands of Gink et al, this gel style floatant is suitable for all dry flies - including CdC.
Our Rubber Duck Gel floatant is supplied in 10ml tins with a screw top. One tin will easily last you a full season, no matter how often you fish, as you only need the slightest hint of the floatant on the fly to make it float.
Fly Drying Towel
We've found the ideal solution for drying your flies - not commercially available, so we decided to make our own! The first time they are available is in this kit. They are a little bit ' homemade' but they work fantastically well. These are made from the most absorbent material available (bamboo) and can be washed.
Make sure your flies are floating high and have a natural look this summer, with our Fly Drying Towel. Press your fly between the two sheets and squeeze the moisture and slime out.