August is usually dominated by 3 hatches:
- Olives - In its various forms, the most common up-winged fly on the rivers in August.
- Midges & Aphids - Often seen in clouds over a sunny part of the river, 'midge' is a generic name for a multitude of small insects. Aphids are in abundance during August, often falling from trees into the water.
- Beetles (Terrestrials) - The most abundant terrestrial insect found in August. Fish will wait under overhanging vegetation for beetles to drop off, especially when it's a little windy. Try the 'Splash & Twitch' technique - see below.
Our August Selection contains 28 flies (22 dries & 6 small nymphs):
- Black Foam Klinkhamer - 2 each of sizes 14 & 18
- Griffith's Sparkle Gnat - 2 each of size 14
- Last Hope Dark - 2 each of size 18
- IOBO Humpy - 2 x of size 14
- John Storey - 2 each of sizes 14 & 18
- Olive Foam Klinkhamer - 2 each of sizes 14 & 18
- Jingler - 2 each of sizes 14 & 18
- Copper-Head Mary Nymph - 2 x size 18
- Olive Quill Tungsten Nymph - 2 x size 18
- Orange-Head Mary Tungsten Nymph - 2 x size 18
As you may be aware we used to provide a subscription service, called The River Box, which has now been discontinued due to the costs of the software to run it! We have decided to make a selection of flies from the book available each month - no need to signup for a subscription, just buy them as and when you want them.
These flies are only available as a selection, just click on "add to cart", you can then adjust the quantities in your cart.