It's April. This month is dominated by 2 hatches:
- Grannom - usually starts in mid-April and will last for a couple of weeks. Grannom hatches usually only last for a few hours each day, generally occurring in the morning between 10am and noon.
- Hawthorn (also known as the St Mark's fly, as it usually starts hatching on St Mark's day - 25th April). These are easy to spot, just look for a black fly with 2 legs dangling from behind!
April is also when the Large Dark Olive (LDO) will start to hatch in any sort of number, we've added in a few Jinglers and Pheasant Tail Nymphs so you can match each stage of the hatch should you see any LDO's coming off the water.
To tie in with our Fly Anglers Almanac (which is still available to buy, click here), we are making available to you, each month, a selection of the flies which appear in the book - allowing you to 'match the hatch'.
As you may be aware we used to provide a subscription service, called The River Box, which has now been discontinued due to the costs of the software to run it! We have decided to make a selection of flies from the book available each month - no need to signup for a subscription, just buy them as and when you want them.
This April Selection contains 23 flies:
- Grannom Caddis - 2 x Size 14 & 2 x Size 16
- Grannom Emerger - 2 x Size 14 & 2 x Size 16
- Grannom Pupa - 2 x Size 14 & 2 x Size 16
- The Jingler - 2 x Size 14 & 2 x Size 18
- Olive Jingler - 1 x Size 12
- Hawthorn - 1 x Size 12 & 1 x Size 14
- Orange Head Mary Nymph - 2 x Size 18
- Olive Quill Tungsten Nymph - 2 x Size 16
These flies are only available as a selection, just click on "add to cart", you can then adjust the quantities in your cart.